Redwood Coast Humane Society often has dogs and cats that need a good adoptive home. You can check out available pets for adoption here, on our Facebook page and on flyers located in Gualala at the Sundstrom Mall, inside of AARF, at The Sea Trader and on the Bulletin Board outside the door of "Jake's Place." Or call us at 707-884-1304 for information on our available pets.
Below are questions which you should ask yourself before adopting a pet. RCHS may also ask you about your willingness and ability to bring a new pet into your home.
- Do you have adequate time to spend with and care for a cat or dog?
- Is your home adequately secure and can a cat or dog be prevented from escaping?
- Do you understand housetraining and understand that the cat/dog may need to be re-taught to not go to the bathroom in the house?
- Can you make the financial commitment to care for the cat or dog, food, vaccinations, routine veterinary care? The cost of owning a pet is about $1,000/year.
- Will the cat or dog be allowed in the house, or only the garage or only outdoors?
- If the cat or dog develops issues, how will you handle these issues?
- Would you be willing to allow a home inspection? If renting, does the landlord allow pets? Can the number for the landlord be provided? Is there size restriction or number of pets restriction?
- Are you planning any major changes in the near future that might affect the status of the pet? Expecting a baby? Planning on moving? Having major surgery? Going back to school? Getting married? Going on a long vacation?
- Does anyone in your family have allergies?
- Are all family members on-board with the adoption decision? Have you been considering adopting a pet for a while? Have you given pet adoption a lot of thought?
If you are interested in adopting a specific pet, please print out our Adoption Questionnaire and fill it out prior to coming to adopt a pet.
Once it has been agreed that you and a pet are a good fit, you will be asked to fill out an Adoption Agreement form and pay a $75 fee for a cat/kitten or a $100 fee for a dog/puppy which includes spaying or neutering of your pet. A condition for adoption is that the cat or dog you are adopting must be spayed or neutered. If the pet is too young at the time of adoption, you will be asked to leave a deposit with RCHS for the Spay or Neuter procedures ($25 cat/kitten or dog/puppy). This will be returned to you once your pet has been spayed or neutered.